Friday, May 3, 2013

Choice or fate? The triple threat

It's one of those days when you wake up restless introspective, & as a result uncomfortable. Not sure if these moments should be cherished & savored for their spiritual cleansing/torment or avoided at all cost. I got up & habitually went to the bathroom: 'donated' to the sea, brushed my teeth & washed my face. I was thinking should I have cornflakes or oatmeal? I smoked a cigarette instead. I opened the closet, pondered what to wear; and then I put on the shirt & the jeans that were lying on a chair. That last line just rhymed.

Did I do that on purpose; do I really care?
This rhyme was intended; I always enjoy a little flair.
I took a look at the mirror, I saw that I was fair.
Then got depressed, wanted to pull out my hair;
but I looked at my scalp, saw there were only a few to spare.
So, I plucked them out from down there.
My chest that is, save your judgmental glare.
I shouldn't have eaten an apple, it isn't nice to dare.
Toss a coin & see how things fare...

What happened above is an a-typical example of one of life's conundrums. Do we have a choice or is it fate? This article wanted to seriously tackle the question of fate vs. choice, and I ended up here! An instantaneous conclusion: can it be absurd? & for those of you special people who like to beat themselves up, do we choose to be absurd or is it preordained?

Countless have been the descriptions on this matter:

"Life gives you lemon, make lemonade"
"Each player must accept the cards life deals him "
"You can't choose your parents, but you can choose your friends" (okay that one was mine, and I disagree with it!)

What's my take on it? Not resolved really. In the meantime, I'm too much of an egoist to think I don't have a choice. I offer the observation of a miniscule soloist in life's harmonically out of tune concerto:

The world is not without a harsh awe-inspiring sense of comic irony: your life is simply a series of continuous, sequential & consequential choices that you make and that is empowering, exciting & full of prospects; yet, you cannot choose to undo a single one of them, and that's frustrating, regretful & ridden with bitterness. Advice? Choose wisely.

Philosophically, religiously & scientifically the court is still out on this topic...

I choose not to hold my breath for the verdict!

No comments:

Post a Comment