Wednesday, June 18, 2014

I broke up with her even though she was hot!


It started the same way most wrong relationships start: I saw her with another man. At first, I thought she was vulgar & demanding. Her perfume was all over the place. Then, I saw how she was with that man and I was smitten by her. I wanted her.

To make a long story short because it was – short, and easy, I got her. That should’ve been my first warning sign.

At the beginning, it was a relationship of professional courtesy on her part; I checked on her whenever I wanted. I took her to all kinds of places. I introduced her to all my friends; a few tried to get her, and they did (but that’s another story). Others had already been acquainted with her kind & were in a similar ongoing relationship. The rest were annoyed by her. The one person who hated her with a vengeance was my mother. She kept that to herself at first; she thought it would only be a fling. That should have been my second warning sign.

With time, she started to be more demanding. I would get out of class, & later on meetings, to communicate with her. At times, I’d even get up from dinner or leave the movie theater to work things out. It got to a point where she would burn my things if she wasn’t getting enough attention! That should have been my third warning sign.

Despite all that, I thought it was a balanced relationship. Each got what they wanted: she got the money & I got the psychological illusion of satisfaction. There was never a doubt in my mind what she was in it for. It was me who fantasized from time to time that perhaps it was not as damaging as my friends kept insisting that it was.

People still ask me what it is about her that made her so irresistible. The answer is simple: the way she kissed. It calmed me down when I was nervous before an important meeting. It soothed me when I was in my car, angry and stuck in traffic. Her kiss helped me write when I couldn't, made me sleep when I should… Every problem I faced, all I had to do was run to her - one kiss and everything was okay. In truth, I didn’t have to do much running; she was always close at hand & it took more than one kiss to make things okay. What shouldn’t have kept me coming back was the very thing that kept me coming back: With every kiss, she managed to take my breath away a little.

There were a few times where she wouldn't give me what I want (now that I think of it, a few times where she would), times when I hated her. And yes, I admit, I cheated on her. It was an eight year relationship, I had to sample. They meant nothing to me. I always returned to her. She always took me back - no judgment. That should have been my fourth warning sign. 

She started affecting my relationship with my friends, ordering me to always take the elevator and not the stairs; even going as far as telling me where to sit in restaurants!

It was the last straw when kissing became painful. I broke up with her, unceremoniously, anticlimactically, without even a goodbye, well… kiss. It has been two months now. Yes, fewer things take my breath away. I can smell better, and smell better. I can even sing better – honest, ask my friends. I am eating healthier & I have started working out. It is all sunshine and clear blue skies, & not just because it’s summer. I know I am better off without her, but there is not a day that passes by where I don’t think about her. I break up with her every morning. Don’t ask why. There is a why, but in such cases it doesn’t make sense.

My advice to you if you are ever tempted by her or the likes of her: run, not figuratively – literally, while you still can.

Disclaimer: kindly note that the subject matter of the above written is smoking and quitting the addiction; it is not about a woman, though there are a few women (and a few men, yes I know I know) who are worse than the depicted.)

4 comments: